The sun is shining and we’re all starting to think about city breaks and holidays. It might have been a couple of years since you were last away,so how do you get your holiday wardrobe refreshed and updated? What are the key pieces for a holiday in the sun and how do you create a capsule holiday wardrobe that works for you?
This month, I’m sharing some tips for creating your capsule holiday wardrobe and will share some of my holiday essentials.
It’s all in the planning!
- Take a look at what you already own. Ask yourself, does it suit you? Does it fit? Do you like it? If the answer is ‘Yes’, add it to your holiday pile. If the answer is ‘No’ add to a pile for re-sale or charity.
- Identify the gaps. What key pieces are misssing? Maybe it’s a cover-up for the beach? A pair of sandals or a flattering swim suit?
- Are you planning a particular theme? Maybe you want to pack neutrals that style easily together or maybe you’re choosing a colour scheme? Having a colour scheme helps as it gives you focus when choosing outfits. Choose your pieces carefully and they should be able to mix and match with ease.
- Choose clothes that suit you and your style personality. You want to feel comfortable on holiday. Maybe you are prone to sunburn or bloating? Consider this when choosing your key pieces.
- Think outside the box. Could your swim suit double up as a top with a midi skirt and jewellery for evening? Could your shirt dress work as a beach cover-up? The aim is to pack less but to make each piece work more!
- Think about the fabrics you choose. Natural fabrics like linen and silk will be more comfortable than synthetic fibres.
So what should you pack?
- An oversized linen shirt or tunic. This will double up as a beach cover up and a will dress up for evening with sandals and a bag. Choose a neutral one in one of your best shades so that it works with other pieces or choose a brighter shade to make a statement. This one from Boden ticks all the boxes and is perfect for cool skintones.
- A casual jumpsuit. Simple and oh so stylish, choose the fabric carefully and this will take you effortlessly from beach to restaurant. This black one below is perfect. Style with espadrilles and a basket bag for day and add jewellery and a clutch for evening. Ideal for Cools, Deeps & Clears.
- A straw-bag. There’s nothing that shouts ‘holiday’ more than one of these beauties. It’ll add interest to your linens and will transition easily from beach to restaurant. Buy an oversized one! There’s nothing more annoying that a small bag when you have suncreams, sunglasses and everyone elses bits and pieces to carry! This one from Marks & Spencer will go with everything but check the dimensions before you buy!
Image – Pinterest Image – Pinterest
- Comfortable Footwear Choose your footwear carefully. Shoes can be bulky and take up a alot of room in your luggage, so opt for a couple of pairs that will mix and match easily. I always choose neutral colours like tan or metallic. Decide if you want sandals, trainers or wedges. Think about how you’ll be spending your time and choose accordingly. These leather sandals from Jigsaw are perfect. The colour, contemporary block heel and simple style make these a great addition to your holiday wardrobe.
- Linen Trousers Comfortable, cool and a great cover-up, a pair of loose linen trousers is a great addition to your suitcase. Choose a neutral colour and mix and match with other neutrals. These linen trousers from Marks and Spencer are perfect!
- A Maxi dress Elegant, stylish and verstaile, a maxi dress is a holiday must-have. Choose one that flatters your shape, frame and skintone and it will be a staple piece for your holiday. Change your footwear and bag and it’ll be perfect for sight seeing or dinner! This one from Marks and Spencer is gorgeous. The v-shaped neckline is flattering while the long, loose sleeves are perfect for cooler evenings. Its also available in regular or long length.
If you’d like some help planning your holiday capsule wardrobe, get in touch. Knowing the styles that flatter your body-shape makes outfit planning so much easier!
Enjoy your break away!