2020 has been a tough year for us all with little to celebrate and few opportunities to socialise! Many of us have been working from home and spending more time in the house, so comfort has been our top priority! We’ve all invested in copious amounts of loungewear and athleisurewear, after-all there’s no point sitting on a Zoom call in tight waistbands and stiff, tailored workwear!
But……It’s Christmas! 2021 looks set to be brighter year, we’ve got a vaccine and things are hopefully starting to look up! So let’s end 2020 in style and add some sparkle to our wardrobe! I don’t know about you, but there’s something about sequins! An instant mood lifter, they add a touch of glamour and fun to any outfit!
These are my top tips when choosing sequins this Christmas!
- For maximum impact wear a sequin dress. Team with heels, clutch and lippy and you’re good to go! Keep accessories to a minimum and let your dress do the talking!
- If full on sequins isn’t for you, try dressing them down. Choose a sequin top and style with jeans and sneakers. Add a classic blazer in a neutral shade and that’s your Christmas day outfit sorted!
- Consider the colour you buy. Cool skin tones will shine in silver, pink and blue sequins while warmer skin tones will look radiant in gold and bronze. If you opt to wear your sequins below the waist, then try black. This will flatter curves and add versatility to your wardrobe. A sequin skirt with a jumper or t-shirt could be worn throughout all the seasons, not just at Christmas!
- Mix it up a bit! Try adding other textures and fabrics to your sequins. I love styling mine with a fur coat but they can look modern and fresh with leather too. Opt for faux leather trousers or a skirt and add boots for an alternative look.
- Choose your sequins carefully! Eye-catching and sparkly, they can draw attention to areas of curve. If this isn’t your goal, then use sequins to create balance and proportion. A pear-shape will look amazing in a puff sleeve sequin top while apple and athletic body-shapes can show off their enviable slender legs in a sequin skirt. For an instant wardrobe update, add this season’s sequin trousers to your Santa list!